if (do_name() != 'Home') : ?>
Created by Tom De Smedt, Ludivine Lechat, Joachim Cols include("util/comment.php"); ?>
A NodeBox piece by Tom De Smedt, Ludivine Lechat and Jo Cols. This time, instead of focusing on plants and insects, we wanted to take a look at bigger organisms... from the inside out.
The design is based on interactions with the department of Morphology at the University Ghent, Belgium. The tangible piece is 350cm x 100cm and was exhibited in Ghent from the 17th of November till the 19th of December 2009.
view full size
Most of the source code consists of modifications of documented examples:
- Roots from Superfolia to create the veins.
- Tendrils to grow the spine structures.
- SVG and some geometry came in handy to import the illustrations by Ludivine and Jo.
- Giorgio's linecap forum post to get the connections between vein segments right.
- Core Image to render shadows and blur.
A lot of the final effects were actually realised in Photoshop because - as many of you know - the NodeBox Core Image library has its limitations.
Download some of the SVG components for free (Creative Commons license).
Created by Tom De Smedt, Ludivine Lechat, Joachim Cols
Thanks: Guy Bovyn (curator), Marjan Doom (department of morphology, University Ghent)